Thursday, June 14, 2007

Mommy's Birthday

What ever happened to that unspoken rule of be nice to your Mother on special days especially her birthday?
I don’t have a well defined recollection of it but I think I was usually less of a pain in the ass to my mother on her birthday.
This morning started well, with a very sweet little serenade from Raisin Boy of “Happy birthday Mommy” The morning song and cuddle session on the couch ended and what started was the usual toddler bullshit
The constant repetition of the morning mantra of
“Please eat your breakfast”
“Please brush your teeth”
“Please get dressed”
Then came the bribery
“If you eat your breakfast like a good boy, brush your teeth and get dressed by your self Mommy will give you a sticker”
Then came the threatening
“If you don’t go and sit down and finish your breakfast I am going to take your bowl away.”
“If you are not up on this stool brushing your teeth by the time I count to 3….”
“We can either do this the hard way or the easy way..It’s your choice”
Then came the frustration
“Ugggggggggggggggg get in your car seat”
“Ugggggggggggggggg get out of the car we are late for school and I am late for work”
“We do the same thing every morning, why do you have to give me such a hard time?”
Then came my own guilt
“Was I too hard on him?”
“Was I too demanding?”
“He is going to be with his dad for the next few days I am going to miss him, I didn’t want the last few minutes we spent together to be like that”

This 3 and a ½ year age is so challenging for me between the constant dawdling, the lack of communication skills and inability to understand the importance of time I am going insane. I have also come to the conclusion that the be-nice-to-your-mother-on-her-birthday rule doesn’t apply to 3 year olds. I wonder when it will apply….

No comments: